Some people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it gives you a boost of physical strength and energy. Similarly, devotions, the first spiritual meal of the day, is equally important, if not more so. Devotions can make or break your day. Devotions should inspire you and deliver a boost of spiritual energy for the day! Devotions needs to be both feeding and inspiring. The Word you read for devotions needs to be received and absorbed.
Regard your devotions as an appointment with Jesus. Here are some steps for an effective devotions.
- Make a commitment to set aside a regular time for devotions and try to follow through on your plan.
- Find a quiet place where you will not be interrupted or distracted.
- Make a plan of what to read over a period of time, but be flexible and let the Lord lead you to read something different as the need arises.
- Begin your devotions by praying, asking the Lord to speak to you from His Word and to bring it to life by the Holy Spirit.
- Don’t just read—study.
- Try to apply what you are reading to your daily life and commit yourself to putting it into action.
- Memorize key verses.
- Two key questions to ask yourself when you read: How can I apply this Word in my life? How can I use this knowledge to help others?
Click on the images below to take you to the page.